Saturday 30 November 2019

Amsterdam in May



This is a very long overdue post of my summer vacation in Amsterdam with friends. So basically, I was officially out of school around May and decided to plan a trip to Amsterdam. The trip was short, 4 days 3 nights. Like any other student, we had to take the earliest flight from London as it was the cheapest, which also means another night spent sleeping at the airport's benches. We were extremely exhausted as we touched down in Amsterdam. As it was a last-minute trip for D, she had to stay separately from us which is a place where I would actually recommend, The Student Hotel, Amsterdam. It is at a fair distance to town compared to the rest of us because we stayed in Haarlem.

The first day spent in Amsterdam involves eating Indonesia food, visit the famous Van Gogh's Museum and hopping on and off the trams. Skip the deets, we also did try the famous fries in Amsterdam. I was very skeptical about this whole fries thing but I'm not against anyone who loved it, as the only thing I feel that is different was their sauces. The sauces were indeed tasty as they had curry and satay and others I don't remember but I would highly recommend it.

For our second day, we went to Zaanse Schans a few minute drives from the center of Amsterdam. This is how I pictured Zaanse Schans: 1) Lots of windmills (hence it will be super cold), 2) Huge dutch shoes were made, and 3) Heavenly taste of stroopwafels! But again, it was my first time trying stroopwafels, everything tastes delicious. Zaanse Schans was such a picture-perfect. After a tiring day at Zaanse Schans, we headed back to the center for a late lunch. Guess what, we had pancakes. Such an odd choice for lunch but apparently the dutch prefers it that way. And their pancakes were XL kind of large. The pancake place we went to was called "The Pancake Bakery", also heads up, might need to queue for a while as it's quite famous among the locals and tourists as well. We didn't really do anything much after pancakes, we went for the canal cruise and made a short detour to visit the "iamamsterdam" sign. At night, we did a short tour around the red light district (Shhhhh.. don't tell my parents!).

On our third day which is also our very last day in Amsterdam, we woke up really really late and we took a long time to pack our suitcases. The first stop of the day was Winkel 43. Our friend reckon to try Amsterdam's famous apple pie. It wasn't on the menu and you've to personally ask the waitress tho. It was actually pretty good!! Second stop of the day was the flower market where they called it the "Bleomenmarkt". As we came slightly later from the peak tulips season, we were quite unfortunate to not being able to see the tulips. After the flower market, we went to the street market which I couldn't recall what's the name of the market but I remembered I had stroopwafels. That's where we found the photo booth too! After visiting the market, it was such a long market, we spent our last few hours wandering around and feeling lost in the moment. And I had this important mission to witness myself "The Fault In Our Stars" set nearby this canal. Nothing fancy actually as it's just a normal pedestrian bench. But having to visit the set felt surreal! I was fangirling the whole time lol

So, that pretty much wraps up my Amsterdam trip. Until next time x

Share with the world:

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed by Beautifully Chaotic